Margaret Pidlaski Scholarship -$1000
This award honours the late Margaret Pidlaski who was director of the Adult-Training Branch with Manitoba Labour and Immigration from 2002-2011 and has contributed to our teaching community immensely.
Jennifer Howard, Labour and Immigration Minister at the time of her passing, describes Margaret as:
“an extraordinary woman who understood the diversity of newcomers to Manitoba and was strongly committed to programs that welcomed and included them in our communities. She […] was widely recognized as an authority on professional practice in adult-language training across the country. The current nationally recognized quality of English as an additional language instruction in Manitoba is largely a testament to her efforts.”
(Province of Manitoba, 2011)
For many in our ESL community, Margaret was a mentor, teacher and friend. TEAM is honored to support her legacy.
The Margaret Pidlaski Scholarship is a 1000 dollar award given to a Manitoba ESL student who has demonstrated commitment, perseverance, and aptitude for learning, has a defined education and career path and has a financial need (as defined by Manitoba Student Aid) that may interfere with achieving his/her academic or career goals.
Before the scholarships are awarded, the candidates will be asked to submit financial documents that verify family income. Documents could include tax returns or pay stubs. The information will be handled confidentially and then destroyed once a decision is made. PDF’s or images of the tax returns or pay stubs may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learners can nominate themselves or may be nominated by Manitoba ESL service providers. Learners, teachers, volunteers and community organization employees must have been active in their roles between September 2018-August 2019 to qualify for nomination. Nominators cannot be immediate family members of their nominees (e.g., sibling, child, grandchild, spouse, or parent).
When the student self nominates, he/she must provide a letter of support from an ESL service provider who has taught the individual personally in a Manitoba ESL program. The letter of support should demonstrate the nominee’s perseverance, commitment and aptitude for learning. The letter of support should be in PDF form, and include the name and email address of the writer. The letter should be mailed directly to TEAM at email@example.com and should include the nominee’s name in the subject line.
Preference will be given to nominators and nominees who are TEAM members, but this is not a requirement for nomination. Each nominator must fill out one form per nominee.
Nominations, letters of support and financial information are due by May 15th. Winners and nominators will be notified by June 30th. The award will be presented at the TEAM conference, TEAM AGM or may be mailed before September 1st. The successful candidate may be asked to speak briefly when receiving the award or may be asked to write a letter of acceptance to be published on the TEAM website or in the newsletter. Also, award recipients will be asked to write a letter to the Friends of Margaret Pidlaski Committee outlining progress made toward their defined goals. This letter should be provided by June 30th 2020.
Up to 2 scholarships will be awarded per school year.
Every year, TEAM recognizes outstanding immigrant learners, volunteers, teachers and international learners through its five awards. If you know a fantastic student, an inspiring teacher, or a deserving volunteer, show them that their efforts are worthy of praise and are noticed by others.?
TEAM awards are presented at our annual conference in May, at the AGM or by mail. Members are notified on our social media accounts and by e-mail of nomination deadlines and procedures.
Immigrant Learner Award – $250
Presented to a current EAL learner with permanent resident or refugee status in recognition of her/his perseverance in learning.
- Has made an effort to use English inside and outside the EAL classroom, transferring learned language skills whenever and wherever possible
- Has met the English language objectives for the level of study
- Has demonstrated a commitment to learning through attendance, participation, attitude, and self-direction
- Has demonstrated a willingness to work with others, either in small groups or as part of the whole class
- A letter of recommendation with a brief description of the program, a brief outline of the nominee’s merits, goals, and successes, and personal information
International Learner Award – $250
Presented to a current international student (student visa holder) in Manitoba in recognition of his/her perseverance in learning.
- Attendance at an adult EAL program in Manitoba
- Excellence in acquiring English as an additional language
- Acceptance at a recognized institution in Manitoba
- Description of the length, cost, and scope of the intended program of study
- Letter of reference from a former adult EAL instructor
- Outline of academic goals
Nominations for these two learner awards are due by May 15th. Winners and nominators will be notified by email, by May 30th. Winners should be prepared to write a brief statement accepting the award. This statement will be included in the TEAM newsletter and may be included in other communication with the TEAM membership. Learners must have been active in their roles any time between September 2018 and August 2019 to qualify for nomination.
TEAM Teacher Award – $250
A one-time award offered to and Adult EAL teacher, in recognition of outstanding contributions to the field of adult EAL through service to the community.
- Has demonstrated commitment to service at an Adult EAL program in Manitoba
- Has demonstrated excellence in teaching English as an additional language
- Has extended own learning and teaching practices through professional development opportunities and other formal and informal learning opportunities
Nominations for the TEAM Teacher awards are due by April 1st. Winners and nominators will be notified by email, by May 1st. Winners should be prepared to write a brief statement accepting the award. This statement will be included in the TEAM newsletter and may be included in other communication with the TEAM membership. Teachers must have been active in their roles any time between September 2018 and August 2019 to qualify for nomination.
EAL Volunteer Award – $250
Presented in recognition of excellence in and dedication to volunteering in the field of EAL for adults in Manitoba.
- Commitment of unpaid personal time and energy to assisting EAL learners
- Promotion of EAL learner success in the classroom and/or in the larger surrounding community
- Flexibility in assisting with a variety of activities that benefit EAL learners
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and variety of learning styles among EAL learners
Nominations are due by May 15th. Winners and nominators will be notified via email, by June 15th . Winners should be prepared to write a brief statement accepting the award. This statement will be included in the TEAM newsletter and may be included in other communication with the TEAM membership. Learners, teachers, volunteers and community organization employees must have been active in their roles any time between September 2017 and August 2018 to qualify for nomination.