Upcoming and Recorded Webinars
Oxford Webinar: Minds Matter: Psychology of Language Learning Sarah Mercer will discuss some key concepts in psychology and explore how they connect to English language teaching, in particular, fostering a sense of competence, autonomy and relatedness in learners. The webinar will be offered at three different dates: April 17, 18 and 19.
Upcoming webinars for ELT educators – March & April 2018 This post by Adi Rajan has a comprehensive list of webinars on a variety of topics, including academic skills, Business English, corpora, critical thinking, technology, wellness and more. You are sure to find something that suits your interests!
Articles and Blog Posts
Teaching—It’s about Inspiration, Not Information Tina Seelig looks at the importance of building relationships with students and discusses 4 ways effectively motivate them.
Tips—Using Digital Tools to Develop Learner Autonomy This post from Cambridge gives teachers strategies to help their learners be more independent and develop their language skills using digital tools.
TESL Canada Journal—Vol 34, No 3 (2017) In this special issue, you will find a variety of articles on formulaic language in English language acquisition and teaching, including the teaching formulaic language for speaking and writing and the teaching of collocations.
Activities and Teaching Tools
Read2me A fantastic tool for listening practice. Simply paste a link or upload a file and instantly convert articles to audio files. Useful for educators and students.
ELLO A useful listening resource that students can use on their own for practice. It contains over 2,500 free audio and video lessons. This resource includes scripts, quizzes, vocabulary practice and grammar conversations organized by CEFR level. Submitted by Matt Hildebrand
ClassroomScreen This free online whiteboard allows you to not only draw & type information but also to display widgets, such as a clock, timer, random name picker, noise level display, and more. Watch this short video to see how it works. Submitted by Matt Hildebrand / English Language Centre, University of Manitoba
Apps 4 EFL This Web-Based language Learning platform for teachers and students has a plethora of activities, assignments and tools for practicing vocabulary, listening, pronunciation, speaking, essay writing, grammar, spelling and more! Definitely worth checking out. Submitted by Matt Hildebrand
8 YouTube Tools to Help Learn English Nik Peachy discusses eight tools that educators can utilize to enhance English language learning, such as VoiceTube for listening to and studying individual sentences within a video, YouGlish for practicing pronunciation, and TubeWizzard for creating video quizzes.
March 14, 2018 unConference – Literacy Focus Shared Resources
Online Resources (mostly free)
- http://www.bestofthereader.ca/ – Lower level readings and worksheets with themed united about Canada, indigenous peoples, families, holidays, health and more. Ready to print.
- http://www.learningchocolate.com/ – Interactive vocabulary lessons. Perfect for Smart Board or computer lab.
- http://www.worksheetfun.com/ – Ready to print worksheets for basic printing, numeracy and spelling practice for days of the week, months, numbers and more.
- https://www.nala.ie/tutors/worksheets – Adult-oriented reading and writing literacy materials. Ready to print and use.
- https://centre.bowvalleycollege.ca/tools/esl-literacy-readers – Printable booklet readers with online audio readers. Multi-level with similar stories available at different levels.
- https://www.kellymorrissey.com/ – Themed collections of literacy resources and ideas.
- http://www.elcivics.com/worksheets/handwriting.html – Printable worksheets for writing plus more to explore.
- https://mnliteracy.org/curriculum-lesson-plans – Themed literacy level units for housing, health, work and much more!
- https://mnliteracy.org/educators/adult/technology/computer-skills – Resources for computer literacy.
- http://library.copian.ca/series/changing-lanes-english-second-language-reading-serie – Series of seven printable reader booklets.
- https://www.eslgamesplus.com – Fun, easy games for language practice.
- http://www.languageguide.org/english/vocabulary/ – Interactive vocabulary exercises. Great for listening and speaking (if you have a microphone).
- https://eslliteracywithcintia.blogspot.ca/ – A blog with a few experiences and ideas for ESL literacy classes.
- http://esllibrary.com – Check the young Learners and Literacy section for phonics, basic grammar, reading and more! Fee for membership.
CCLB Texts Available for PDF Download
- CLB: ESL for ALL http://www.language.ca/product/clb-esl-for-adult-literacy-learners-all-pdf-e/ – Most recently updated text.
- CLB: ESL for ALL Support Kit http://www.language.ca/product/clb-esl-for-all-support-kit-pdf-e/ – Support kit resources.
- CLB 2000: ESL for Literacy Learners http://itsessential.ca/display_page.asp?page_id=255 – Old version with many helpful ideas and suggestions.
Books available for PDF Download
- Hands On! A Collection of ESL Literacy Activities http://en.copian.ca/library/learning/handson/handson.pdf – Collected activities for lesson planning.
- Making It Real: Teaching Pre-literate Adult Refugee Students http://www.tacomacommunityhouse.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Making-it-Real.pdf – A great resource for teaching adults without using children’s materials.
Books and Resources for Purchase
- What’s Next series https://www.newreaderspress.com/whats-next – Multilevel phonics approach designed for multilevel English classes. Easy-to-read stories follow Samsam, a Somali immigrant, through her daily life in the U.S. where she is faced with learning English, finding a job, visiting a doctor, and more.
- Grassroots Press readers http://www.grassrootsbooks.net/ca/grass-roots-readers/romance-series – Multiple collections available. Linked is a series of stories about romance.
- Project Success Intro https://pearsonerpi.com/en/elt/integrated-skills/project-success – Integrated skills workbook with audio/video online component.
- From Home to School Literacy https://www.newreaderspress.com/from-home-to-school – Themed stories with comprehension, vocabulary, listening, speaking, and writing activities. Parallel lesson themes at each student book level make the series a perfect choice for multilevel classrooms. Teacher’s Guide and audio available.